Spinach is good for you. It’s a health food. I always knew it was good but if you asked me the specifics of its benefits, I would be clueless as to what to say. But after reading a bunch of “spinach”-related articles over the Internet, I learned one thing for sure—Need more iron? Go for spinach!
I need to read more to find out what other good things spinach has to offer. While I am off to do so, I am leaving you with a new recipe to try—spinach with eggs, Azerbaijani way. You will love this delicious vegetarian dish. Top your masterpiece with traditional garlicky yogurt sauce and you have it the authentic Azerbaijani way. Enjoy!
Spinach with Eggs (Ispanag Chighirtmasi)
2 pounds fresh spinach, thoroughly washed and drained
5 tablespoons clarified butter or regular unsalted butter, or olive oil
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
Ground black pepper
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
Garlicky Yogurt sauce
1 cup plain yogurt, mixed with 2-3 gloves peeled and crushed garlic
1. Fill a large pan with water and bring to a boil. Toss in the spinach and blanch for about 3 minutes, or until just wilted.
2. Remove from the pan from heat and drain the spinach on a colander, pressing with a slotted spoon to remove as much moisture as possible (or wait until it cools off and squeeze dry with your hands). Place the cooked spinach on a cutting board and chop coarsely.
3. In a medium non-stick frying pan, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes or until lightly brown. Toss in the spinach, stir to mix, and cook together for 5-8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Pour the eggs evenly over the spinach. Cook (you can cover the pan or leave it uncovered) for 7-10 minutes, or until the eggs are set.
5. Serve immediately with bread and garlicky yogurt sauce on the side, to spoon over the dish to taste.
looks good. can you pls post more vegie recipes. i am more into them than meat. thanx.
Thank you. I will be posting more vegetarian recipes.
Sizin ispanaq chigirmasi cox qozel ve cox dadlidir. Istesoz ona bir ya iki qashiq “zerish ” de elave ede bilersiz daha da yemeli olar
2009 il bayrami size mubarek olsun.
Sag qalun ve taza ve gozel yemkler yaradun.
KYANVAR: Sagh olun gozel sozlerinize gore. Zerishi cox xoslayiram, eminem ki, bu yemeye lezzet qatar. Deyesen bunu Iranda yasayan Azeriler edir, duzdur mu?
Yeni il tebriklerinize gore cox sagh olun, men de size gozel il arzu edirem.
Do you have a recipe for a ‘salad’ that is made of red cabbage? We were served this in Baku nearly daily. I think that it was made with beets as well.
Woah – Awesome and Simply Recipe! I love it and will try it soon for sure!!
hello farida, I really enjoy your site and your recipes look awesome, I just wanted to say that the iron from the spinach does not absorb well (yes, Popeye was an hoax…). Spinach IS good for you, but iron is not the why, sorry.