This post was originally published on April 15, 2008 and is now updated. I have added a recipe video and tweaked the recipe for best results.
Nutritious, vibrant, and delicious. What’s not to love about this Turkish Carrot Salad with Yogurt Dressing? It is, perhaps, one of the most popular salads frequenting a Turkish table. It is also one of the easiest salads you can ever make.
You only need 4 ingredients to put this salad together. Grated carrots are cooked in olive oil until tender but slightly undercooked, then dressed with nothing more than plain yogurt and garlic. Simple. And super good.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE TURKISH CARROT SALAD WITH YOGURT DRESSING:
- 8 medium carrots, peeled
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- About 2 cups plain yogurt
- 4 gloves garlic or to taste, peeled and passed through a garlic press
- Chopped fresh dill, for garnish (optional)
- Grate the carrots on the coarse side of a box grater.
- In a medium non-stick frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the carrots and cook, stirring frequently, until they are tender, about 10 minutes. Take care not to overcook the carrots; they should not be mushy and should be slightly undercooked. Remove the pan from the heat and transfer the carrots to a large mixing bowl to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, combine the yogurt with garlic in a separate mixing bowl.
- Once the carrots have cooled completely, add the yogurt and garlic mixture and stir to mix well. Add more yogurt if you have too - the salad should not be dry.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Chill in the refrigerator before serving.
- If you wish, garnish with chopped dill.